6 Music Classic Concerts

Humphrey thebarguest@...
Wed Jan 18 16:11:05 CET 2012

Yeah, some good old concerts get b/cast on BBC6 that are not listed even in the Radio Times ; it's a Boomtown Rats one from 82 now.
My understanding of the tech aspect is that it's very good now (and has been for a year or so), with variable bitrate aac (better than mp3) averaging about 128 kbps but often exceeding 200 (via BBC iPlayer).
Sadly, from the start of i/net broadcasting until a few years ago (maybe), the quality was poor eg 64 kbps mp3 and even lower, which gives a tinny sound to the b/cast. The situation was/is further complicated by people "capturing" those low-bitrate shows and converting to higher bitrates eg 192, which does not improve sound quality at all ....