New Tape Collection - Hinton Box, 1978-80

chuckywuckyuk mikepratt@...
Wed Feb 22 11:01:41 CET 2012

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, colin bray <colinbray@...> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have been given a collection of 48 c90 cassettes from 1978-80. The cassettes are unmarked with dates but it appears each one represents a 90 minute compilation from a particular show. Unfortunately there is very little Peel, limited as he is to occasional track outros.
>
> The tapes are especially strong on punk and post-punk tunes and the sound quality (at least of those I've heard so far) is moderate. I was able to fairly confidently date the first tape from the session and other tunes – and it was not previously available to the group.
>
> Brian Hinton has told me he also has a smaller number of cassettes from the 80's so these may see the light of day at a later date.
>
> In the meantime, the wonderful Steve TK has kindly offered to share and create wiki entries but may need your help in identifying some of the tracks.
>
> Finally, Brian co-edits a music e-zine called `Stick It In Your Ear' which includes articles of likely interest to us:
>
> http://www.siiye.co.uk/
>
> He has asked if someone from the group would be interested to write an article about the wiki and Peel for the zine. Is this something you would be interested in, Ken? An article may flush out more tape hoarders – talking to Brian he knows somebody who has good quality reel-to-reel tapes of late 60s sessions who may be willing to share. Discussions are ongoing about this. If anyone has the ability to play/digitise reel-to-reel tape could they let me know.
>
> I hope to digitise a couple of shows a week so it will take a few months to get through the collection. Normal service will largely be suspended for the 500 Box during this time.
>
> Big thanks to Steve TK as ever for his continued editing, sharing and wiki entries.
>
> Colin.

The reel tapes are better digitised from the original machine that recorded them, if the person in question still has it ?

The way I would go is to use a sony rh1 minidisc to make md copies in real time. The beauty of the RH1 is that you can then digitise the minidisc direct to a pc to wav and then mp3 or flac (not in real time)
If you get my meaning. I would be happy to help but I am up in t' north !

Mike P