[peel] L236 (snapped)

Stuart stuartb@...
Tue Aug 21 23:24:08 CEST 2012

Hi Doc

I'm happy to give it a go. Do you still have my address from the T198
rescue?

Stuart

  _____

From: peel@yahoogroups.com [mailto:peel@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dr
Mango
Sent: 21 August 2012 20:11
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] L236 (snapped)

In amongst the batch of SL tapes currently with me is no. 236.
Unfortunately, whilst in the process of rewinding the cassette in my deck,
the tape snapped. This seemed unusual, as the tape is a TDK D90 and
obviously isn't of any great age - unlike some of the constituents of the
400 box. There were about 5 minutes worth of tape on one spool. I opened up
the case to try and stick the tape back together and discovered that the "5
minutes" spool is completely stuck together. I couldn't locate the end of
the tape to reattach to the other side as it's stuck flat. Very odd. The
tape would appear to contain a portion of Andy Kershaw on side A and maybe a
previously unshared segment of 24 October 1992 (whatever it is, there's no
trace of the tracks on the wiki).

At worst the 40 minutes or so of tape that is moving freely could be
salvaged from this. The good news for Peel fans is that the "5 minutes
spool" of tape is at the start of the Kershaw side / end of the Peel side,
so chances are that it was blank tape for the latter. If someone else with
more experience of fixing tapes wants to take a look at it, let me know
either on or off the group. Otherwise it will have to go back to Rocker as
it is.

Dr Mango