Pulp on Peel

Stephen Bray stephenbray@...
Sun Aug 5 23:22:00 CEST 2012

Dear Peel Folks,

  My name's Stephen, I'm new to this list and I'm a rather huge Pulp
fan. I've been responsible for sourcing a lot of live stuff, early
demos, radio appearances etc. for my Pulp Portfolio Project, which I'm
proudly displaying here:

http://www.pulpwiki.net/Pulp/PulpPortfolioProject

  I think the only thing I have of interest for you is Track 12/13 on
Disc 2. It's a couple of seconds of Peel speech following his playing
of the band's second single sometime in, presumably, the Summer of
1983. I'm happy to upload it if it would interest anyone here. I do
have a direct digital recording of the full song with the speech at
the end which I pulled from someone's second gen recording of the
event in question.

  The main thing I'm looking for is Peel's speech surrounding Pulp's
first Peel session on 18/11/81. Obviously the tracks survive, but
whatever comments John had about them seem not to be in circulation.
The repeat on 8/12/81 would also be interesting. The third early 80s
repeat - on 8/2/82 survives at least in part, featuring John's
comments before and after Turkey Mambo Momma, which appears to be the
last of the Session tracks repeated that night.

  So yeah, those are my questions - does the 18/11/81 show survive at
all? How about 8/12/81? And how about the first part of the 8/2/82
one?

  For my part, I'll upload the "Everybody's Problem" bit with John's
somewhat disdainful comments afterwards.

  Btw - congrats to all who've worked on the Peel wiki site. It really is a gem!

    Stephen