[peel] Cat sounds bells: DJ's bete noire (3, 5)

MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@...
Tue Oct 25 00:39:57 CEST 2011

My subject line doesn't work this is OT.

I've just finished reading Kershaw's autobiography - its a great read and you should all enjoy it but I have a question. Don't get annoyed with me for asking it.

When I've told pals I'm reading it (especially women) they've looked at me a bit askance and surprised as I'm known for my feminist views. They remember the press coverage and assume he was guilty of  violence against Juliette. He denies this in the book but he also admits that he was out of control and didn't know what he was doing when his relationship broke down - he does admit harrasment that seemed quite extreme at times. Did Juliette ever allege actual violence? Others may not think that this is important but I'd like to know.

As I said it was entertaining read but he appears to be quite proud of his sexual exploits (one of which in the end was his downfall), is SO certain that he is right about his musical judgements and tends to overplay his contribution to world events. eg He wasn't the only journalist in Rwanda during the genocide, and he was definitely not the only person in the whole world who saw the RPF as the only people who were going to stop the genocide and he wasn't the only person to criticise the aid agencies made a big mistake in looking after the perpetrators of the genocide when they fled across the border. And stating that the term world music was invented to give a name of the music he was playing is a BIG claim. This combination of "no off switch"/sexual conquests/hubris/overconfidence makes for a great read but you can see why the seeds of destruction were contained in his story but he seems unaware of this.

The thing that I am most struck by was the long list of friends who he credits with helping him through his dark days. I'm not ceratin I would have such friends to see me through if I fell so far. People may think its none of my business whether Juliette had another side to tell and this may be true but if he is telling his side of the story I'd like to hear her side. Forgive me for asking and if you want to ignore me/reply offline/direct me to somewhere to look feel free.

Mark

From: so_it_goes_2512 <so_it_goes_2512@...>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 24 October 2011, 16:31
Subject: [peel] Cat sounds bells: DJ's bete noire (3, 5)

Fellow Peelites

So much going on here that I have even less time than usual to post these days, but I have managed to squeeze out a couple of shares:

1) 13 March 1992
The Lowman tapes give us a new section that fills in part of the gap here, but frustratingly some 20 minutes are still AWOL.

2) 16 November 1998 (BFBS)
...but here is a complete show, down-home and still sounding freshly minted.

Best wishes
Steve (TK)