Pete Townsend on being invited to give the inaugral John Peel lecture

ken ken_garner@...
Wed Oct 5 10:28:47 CEST 2011

to be fair i think it was janice long and her then producer Mike Hawkes who picked up on the proclaimers first - see IN SESSION TONIGHT pp. 154-55. Their first session was for her in Jan 87, and they signed to chrysalis a few weeks later. Before that they had only had a demo tape doing the rounds, no indie single releases, and peel at that time did not broadcast demos, so I have to wonder if Townsend's memory is correct. In my mind, and I was a regular listener in 86-87, they were always an evening show band. It is always possible peel played their first single on chrysalis once or twice in summer 87, but I do not recall it. We need more show tapes from these years!

ken