[peel] Re: Peel shows on VHS

Stuart stuartb@...
Thu May 19 10:43:27 CEST 2011

If you are using an old copy of Audacity you may not be able to use variable
bit rate encoding to mp3, and with itunes you would need to use a plugin
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Lame_Installation Advanced MP3
encoding with LAME in iTunes

"Although iTunes uses its own MP3 encoder, not LAME, you can run the LAME
MP3 encoder inside iTunes with
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13048> this plugin.
Encoding to MP3 in iTunes using this LAME plugin will also allow you to use
<http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Variable_bit_rate> variable bit rate,
<http://harmsy.freeuk.com/mostync/> joint stereo and other encoding options
not currently available in the stable release of Audacity."

Though 320kpbs constant bit rate should be fine and that would be available
from itunes and standard Audacity

Stuart

  _____

From: peel@yahoogroups.com [mailto:peel@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of steve
Sent: 19 May 2011 03:23
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [peel] Re: Peel shows on VHS

If you're using a Mac, it very easy to use iTunes for converting an aiff to
mp3.

Add the aiff file to iTunes, go to the Advanced menu and select "Create Mp3
Version".

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com <mailto:peel%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"vegetablesman" <vegetablesman@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the interest and sorry for the delay in my reply. The advice
did help. I ended up using an older version of Audacity. I had a few
tracking problems and had to dig out a different VHS recorder than I'd
intended for digitising my first show.

> I grabbed a tape at random and have now digitised a complete programme
which I believe to be from 25th February 1998 ( I hope this doesn't step on
anyone else's toes). I think the sound quality is pretty good but would like
other opinions before I digitise any further tapes.

> I have the programme in .aiff format and would welcome tips on converting
to flac and mp3. I would also like to know the best place to upload the
programme.

"billfromnorthwales" <billfromnorthwales@> wrote:

> > Hello vegetablesman
> >
> > Did this advice from Stuart help?
> >
> > Do you need any more advice or step by step guides we will all try to
assist.

> > I think your recodings are encoded on HiFi video, and so still get
almost 20-20khz full sound response even in LP mode, so are likely to be the
highest quality available, up there with metal cassettes.