[peel] New music

cannon alan ajcauk@...
Wed May 18 12:18:12 CEST 2011

Hi Martin

 Not sure i can define exactly what John Peel did as such
Though for sure going right back
For me not quite to the Perfumed Garden
He did introduce me to countless groups and artists
That i still love and play
As far as promoting the new that don't get exposure
Dandelion Radio does a great job in keeping that tradition going
So i do listen to each monthly cycle
But i have to say while of interest
I don't find myself searching out the stuff on offer for repeated listening

At Brighton and Hove Community Radio bhcr.org.uk
I think David Sharman's Strange Boutique show at 7pm UK time on Thursday
Provides an interesting documentary style on acts in the Peel orbit that
definitely don't get played on air
Marcus Bodys' Dream Nation at 6pm on Wednesday similarily but maybe with better
known tracks

 This
address http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=simon%20maxwell-stewart provides
a list of Simons
show that are genre specific and feature selections that cannot be more obscure.
At the same time he introduces
an element of humour into the proceedings and illustrates what a youngster can
dig up from the internet without
the benefit of personal experience. Can't recommend him enough.

In my show Alan J Cannons Eternity Oclock on 10am or thereabouts on Fridays i
play favourites that don't get
heard unless you are in the know in which case you can find them for yourself
via You tube, spotify,
grooveshark etc. I slip out of the Peel remit half the time as  i feel there is
stuff, that while uncool is still worthy,
and that he didn't like eg Hawkwind (cos they stole a microphone that time). And
then i go for the plain obvious
when the mood takes me i.e.people from this list
Black Star Liner
Leftfield
Suns Of Arqa
Loop Guru
Dreadzone
Transglobal Underground
Ozric Tentacles
System 7
Eat Static                   . . . . that kind of thing.
All of whom are well known to Peelites but i can't think who gives them airplay
not even
Stuart Maconie on his Freak Zone.

Hope you can find something to tickle your fancy from that lot.

all the best alanjc