Racing Cars

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Sun May 8 13:54:09 CEST 2011

Yes it was interesting that Peel went so enthusiatic about Racing Cars.

I recorded their In Concert from 1978 where they shared the bill with
Gordon Giltrap

It is available HERE
<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/1978-12-09%20BBC%\
20In%20Concert%20%28Racing%20Cars%20&%20Gordon%20Giltrap%29.mp3>

Haze has already posted the Gordon Giltrap part, and his recording
shades it for quality, but at least we have the full show.

As for Racing Cars, well it is a bit of a racket, and maybe they suffer
from what happened to a lot of his favourites - the record company and
fans demand stuff that takes out the very elements that attracted him in
the first place.

And even then, as a one hit wonder band, the least they can do is to
play that one hit, which they didn't.

Although I do think Horses deserved it's place in Peel's heart.

I remember, as apparently the band did, watching the Jane Fonda movie
(about a danceathon during the Great Depression) on TV a couple of years
earlier, and so it was  a nice retropective soundtrack to that
melacholic mood.

Bill

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Humphrey" <thebarguest@...> wrote:

> Thanks again (to the power of 500) for these - the overall quality is
brilliant but on tape 770103 (a) there seem to be repeated dropouts on
the left channel from around 16 min to around 51 min. I would
assume/presume that Ken/John were aware of these and tried different
playback machines etc. to no avail. Sooo.... if anyone could try a
remaster/fix either by patching in new song copies or copying the right
channel to the left (monoising) ( hi Bill ! ), that would be the icing
on the cake. Sorry for being a neurotic perfectionist !

> Btw, I would never have thought that JP was such a Racing Cars fan -
> I remember hearing "They Shoot Horses" on pop radio and not being too
impressed ; seemed a bit like "Arms Of Mary", nice tune, different words
etc. but, but ...

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken" ken_garner@ wrote:
> >
> > So, to the denouement: the show of 3rd January 1977 (minus the sig.
and first few seconds of the first session track, John admits). No
comment required, but great repeat session tracks from Thin Lizzy, Bill
Aitken and The Chieftains, and the unbearable tension of the Top 10.
What will be number one?