[peel] Peel shows on VHS

Stuart stuartb@...
Mon May 2 22:12:49 CEST 2011

HI

I assume that when you say they are recorded in stereo that they are
recorded in hifi mode (i.e. using the flying video heads rather than the
little linear head used in non-hifi VCR decks).

Having had a lot of experience with playing back old recordings that way,
the most critical thing is really to make sure that the tracking is spot on.
If not there will be all sorts of nasty interference (much like on a badly
tuned FM station). A good deck should be able to align the heads
automatically on playback but manual tracking may be required to get it just
right. As long as the recording deck was in good condition at the time (no
creasing of the tape by worn pinch rollers for example) and the deck you
have now is still in good condition, you should have no problem.

The old mono soundtrack will not sound very good, in fact much worse than an
audio cassette, but is more robust. I don't think there is a way of altering
a tracking of a mono soundtrack to improve quality. (without taking the deck
apart)

Coming to the Mac I have heard that Audacity can be a problem to get
working, but this page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_software_for_audio lists a number
of alternatives.

Assuming you do get a sound out of your VCR and into Audacity or such on the
mac, just make sure that there is no clipping on the record levels, and save
to flac and high bit rate mp3. (I use 220-260kbs vbr)

Good luck

Stuart

  _____