Friday Rock Show with Tommy Vance

dunelm61 dunelm@...
Sun Jun 19 12:43:42 CEST 2011

The listeners' chart was broadcast annually on the anniversary of the very first Friday Rock Show and went under the title of Now We Are One, Two, Three etc.

The very first Friday Rock Show went out on 17 November 1978, so you're looking for recordings of shows broadcast in mid-November from 1979 on. My guess is that the first such chart was broadcast on 16 November 1979.

A bit of googling reveals that the first top 10 included Shine on you crazy diamond, Starship Trooper,  Suppers Ready, Stargazer, Smoke on the Water, Xanadu, Layla, Freebird, Child in Time and Stairway to Heaven. Of course, several of these tracks featured in the Festive Fifty in its various guises.

In my own mind Whole Lotta Rosie ("Angus! Angus!") and 2112 (tell the kids of today that tracks used to occupy a whole side of an LP and they won't believe you) always used to do well in the chart. Obviously I'm mistaken.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Jim Kerslake <jimkerslake@...> wrote:

I wonder if anyone remembers those all-time rock charts (voted by listeners) that TV used to do every year?  I would dearly love to hear that again...