[peel] Re: Be Bop Deluxe session 1973

Pete Conkerton klacktoveedesteen@...
Wed Jun 15 17:35:08 CEST 2011

Well I'm ashamed to say I'd never noticed the Larkin/Hull reference in 'There she goes'. Thanks for that, Wob (hope you're enjoying fatherhood, btw). I'm not familiar with the Martin Carthy tune, tho' the line about 'Hull, Hell & Halifax' is well known in E Yorks.

I saw Bebop at the Duke of Cumberland a couple of times, as well as several gigs at Spring Street theatre (original home of Hull Truck), Tiffanys (supporting Cockney Rebel) and probably a few other venues I've forgotten about. They eventually scaled the dizzy heights of Hull City Hall, tho' that was with the second line-up. Bill played a return solo gig at the Duke sometime in the early Nineties (I think), and the last time I saw him was with his Lost Satellites, including his brother Ian (RIP), at Sheffield Leadmill in 2004, about a month before JP died. Ah, memories...

Pete Conk

--- On Wed, 15/6/11, Ray Culkin <culkin@...> wrote:

From: Ray Culkin <culkin@...>
Subject: Re: [peel] Re: Be Bop Deluxe session 1973
To: "peel@yahoogroups.com" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Cc: "peel@yahoogroups.com" <peel@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, 15 June, 2011, 6:30

Have to agree with the 10 out of 10 for all their albums. There was rumoured to be a remastered box set due out at the back end of last year which never materialised. The Duke referred to in Axe Victim was the Duke of Cumberland pub in North Ferriby just outside Hull which they played regularly in the early 70's.