[peel] Re: white stripes depart

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sat Feb 5 10:22:52 CET 2011

At 03:40 05/02/2011, you wrote:

>Yeah, I was kind of wondering about the alleged third session, as
>Ken only lists two. First investigation leads to BBC page - which has three:
>
><http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/w/whitestripes/>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/w/whitestripes/
>
>Third (second) being allegedly recorded 7/11/2001, which was the day
>before the band played live at Peel Acres. I assumed this was some
>sort of typo, but the page has audio links, so the tracks do seem to exist:
>
><http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/2000s/2001/Nov07whitestripes/>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/2000s/2001/Nov07whitestripes/
>
>Don't have any record of a play date on the wiki and doesn't seem to
>leap out from Ken's show list. Jack White's solo Live Lounge session
>was in 2004:
>
><http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/2000s/2004/Jan30jackwhite/>http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/2000s/2004/Jan30jackwhite/
>
>So bit mystified by this third WS session. Any experts out there?
>
>On a different subject, just to add thanks to Roger for latest mass
>of 400 Box shows. Great listening, but have been really busy the
>past couple of weeks so haven't been able to have a good go at the
>wiki tracklistings yet, although Stuart has done a bunch. If anyone
>fancies helping out on the wiki, it's really not so difficult and
>would be much appreciated:
>
>--Click on s date page in the Help Wanted section of the 400 Box
>page (<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/400_Box>http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/400_Box)
>--Click on the big red Edit button at the top of the date page.
>--Add your tracklisting (links can be added using the chain-like icon).
>--Click "Publish" below editing window to save.
>
>Cheers,
>
>SW

This is just a theory
To start with this is what I actually know.   The Peel Acres session
degenerated into an all-night drinking
session involving Peel, WS and the production crew.   As a result of
this the producer forgot to make
the copy of the show the BBC required her to do.    Later thanks to
Ken and this group a
recording was supplied to the BBC
My theory is that the session entry was just a holding entry that
never got removed when
they eventually got the details of the actual Peel Acres performance

martinw