Peel Wikia pages on sale at Amazon ---- what is going on?

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Sat Dec 10 12:04:10 CET 2011

> "There is nothing illegal about the operation. Under the Creative
> Commons licensing and copyright framework, as long as the author is
> properly attributed, Wikipedia is open game for publishers around
> the globe. Each one of the books is clearly labeled, making it very
> clear where the information is coming from, and thereby easily
> deflecting complaints to the publisher."

I'd always thought that Creative Commons prevented resale of material
for profit, or there was a limited version of the licence that you
could 'publish' under, but it seems not. Quite surprising. though not
as surprising as the fact that these companies would hope to sell what
look like basic track listings and hope that someone would purchase
them. I'd guess it's a print-on-demand thing, though I dearly hope
that they have 5000 copies piled up in a warehouse somewhere. (You can
of course print your own wiki articles as PDF or onto paper easily and
there are companies that do exactly what alpha and beta are doing, for
you).

Stuart Mchugh
po box 13516 linlithgow eh49 6wb ...  t: 01506 840063 ...  e: editor@...