More L tapes

Stuart stuartb@...
Fri Dec 2 22:03:39 CET 2011

OK, not sure whether to arrange these in tape or show order but here
goes
Tape L186a came up with a 42 minute section of 02 May 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/02_May_1992>  which though already
available, has better sound quality. L186b had a Radioactive comedy show
from Radio 4, unshared.
Tape L187a consists of the last 22 minutes of 22 August 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/22_August_1992>  previously unshared, and
the first 24 minutes of 28 August 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/28_August_1992>  , also previously unshared.
L187b continued with a later 42 minute portion of  28 August 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/28_August_1992> , again a new share, and
this can only come from the large gap in the previously shared L092.
Tape L188a has an Andy Kershaw show, while Tape L188b has a 46 minute
previously shared section of 13 June 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/13_June_1992>  .
Tape L191a has a 37 minute section of 13 June 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/13_June_1992> , previously shared but this
sounds clearer.
Tape L191b must have been forgotten about for a while as this contains a
new 46 minute portion of 29 August 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/29_August_1992>  .
Tape L193 contains two separate portions, 29 and 18 minutes,  of 29
February 1992 <http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/29_February_1992>  which while
not in as good sound as the already available mostly complete show, does
fill in a gap in that recording. L193 ends with the final, previously
unshared 19 minute of 13 March 1992
<http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/13_March_1992>  . I think that completes the
show, the available files are rather confusing but once the rest of the
L files for this show crop up, Steve will re-edit into a master file.
All of the relevant files are available in the same Mooo folder so if
you look for any of the above from the wiki page, do a quick date sort
and you'll find the rest of these files.
The Philips FS tapes that this batch are on are perhaps starting to
deteriorate;  there are certainly dropouts at the points on the tape
which have been exposed where they weren't fully wound, and were
depositing some white residue on the spindle. The transport sounds like
it is finding it hard to track to optimum azimuth - the treble content
seems to vary no matter how the replay azimuth angle is set. I was
wondering if it was my deck but I can here the same thing in some of
Doc's L tapes as well. I'll investigate further and will let you know if
I decide to re-rip and re-up.
For info, I know that most of the L rippers are following the file
naming convention but could any new rippers please follow suit as it
makes the piecig together of shows much easier!
Stuart(weatherman22 mantoid2 etc)