tape screech

Stuart stuartb@...
Wed Aug 31 07:29:13 CEST 2011

I think most of us are adjusting azimuth these days (it makes a difference even with AM recordings) though it is obvious from some of the existing Peel Shows out there that the azimuth is way out.

I will try your screw-loosening trick first, though if it is due to the tape binder coming out of the tape then the screeching is actually caused by the tape moving over the head and can only be cured by an untimately destructive heat cycle. You have a day or two to get the sound off the tape before it blows up! (well not quite, but the tape soon reverts to screeching and will be in a worse condition...)