John's 40th Birthday - 30th August 1979

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Thu Aug 25 19:32:33 CEST 2011

That's good, but whenever I need cheering up, I play THIS
<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/06%20Misc/JOHN%20\
PEEL%201939%20-%202004.mp3>

You know The Fall ould have been superstars, but millions of kids went
into record shops asking for records by
  The Mighty Fall

"That band don't exist, mate"

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Pete Conkerton <klacktoveedesteen@...>
wrote:

> Always a joy to see The Mighty Fall discussed - still the only band
that matters for me. My personal 'eureka' moment was hearing 'Hip
Priest' in the March 1981 session, and I'd argue that the 'Complete Peel
Sessions' box set represents their finest work.
> As Sheila says in 'Margrave of the Marshes', "The strange thing is
that John and Mark never exchanged more than a few words over the years.
Their friendship involved little more than a mumbled greeting and
anoccasional punch on the shoulder or squeeze of the arm."
> Anyway, here's an amusing little bagatelle created by some unsung
genius on Fallnet some years ago:
> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=59QAK6KH
> Enjoy!
> Pete

sleeve-notes and an extra disc of singles, live tracks and stuff. Highly
recommended.

> I had a similar experience of delight & shock on hearing Cruisers
Creek for the first time (I was only 8 in 1978, hence my late
introduction to The Fall) - I didn't know music could be like that. I
still love that song, but haven't a clue what it's about.

> Martin
>

> On 25 August 2011 17:45, MARK LUETCHFORD M.Luetchford@... wrote:

> And I remember with complete clarity the shock with which I heard
those early sessions and the excitement with which I discussed Totally
Wired spins on Peel with pals. Getting a copy - placing the needle
on my crappy turntable - my life was changed forever. It was a different
sound from anything Peel was playing and stood out like an angry spot!
> I can remember Peel once saying that the genius of The Fall was
that they were always different but always the same. So endeth
lesson #2

not a mention in the show which surprised me.

> I also had "Early Singles 1977-1979" LP with the great MES philosophy
I still teach my kids.

> Remember the three "R's"
>
> (Repetition, Repetition, Repetition)
>
> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "Humphrey" thebarguest@ wrote:
> >
> > Well done & ta for all the mp3 soldering work ! But "pre-Fall world"
in 79 is not right - I remember my excitement and bemusement at
hearing/taping a Fall session broadcast on Peel around Dec 78. "I Like
To Blow" (wonder what that was about, surely not drugs) and "No
Christmas For John Quays" - weird and unique musical urban poetry, the
opposite to prog rock (which I also loved in 78). They had another sesh
on Peel earlier in 78 but I can't recall hearing that, maybe I was doing
the dreaded "homework"...

<http://www.peel.mooo.com/peelgroup/BillfromNorthWales/01%20John%20Peel/\
\