I Waited 30 years for "25 years of Rock" then 50 years comes along at once

billfromnorthwales billfromnorthwales@...
Thu Apr 14 21:08:43 CEST 2011

Older radio 1 listeners may remember a programme from 1980 called "25
Years of Rock" that documented each year as a montage of news audio
clips and music.

It covered 1955 to 1979

I really remember it as being an excellent series

Well I have most of the full series on cassette waiting to digitise, and
patch, and make complete, but it looks like I may not have to since BBC
Radio has launched  <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0106tst> Sounds of
the 20th Century <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0106tst>  which is
made by the same producer (Trevor Dann) and covers the years 1951 to
2000

We haven't got to 1955 yet so we don't know if they will re-use 1955 to
1979 (plus 5 others to 1984 as the series did get a second run as "30
years of Rock" in 1985) but it would make sense if they did, as they
would only need 20 new episodes.

The first year 1951,broadcast last week,  is identical in format to the
earlier series.

It is still available on iPlayer, and episode 2 1952, is on later
tonight.

I reccommend this for anyone of any age, and particularly for this group
who's age and taste is probably more wide ranging than most.

I think Humphrey preferred the later "Rock and Roll Years" on
Television, but this was my favourite radio series ever, and is
certainly much better than the later Alan Freeman "Story of  Pop" (1994)
which is repeated regularly on BBC 6music, and is a bit pedestrian.

For Sounds of the 20th Century, Ok I guess the 50's may be less
interesting, but the series has some stunning moments, so look out for
Kennedy in 1963 and the 1972 Munich disaster news accompanied by, of all
things, The Carpenters, as among the best radio documentary moments ever
recorded.

Just a suggestion for something to consider.............

Bill fnw
                   <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0106tst>