[peel] Most surprising records played

steve lippert stemail1@...
Mon Sep 6 18:46:44 CEST 2010

It surprised me when he played Stand and Deliver by Adam and the Ants, as they
were 'top of the pops' by then - but I have to admit that I also rather liked
the tune...

________________________________
From: John Bravin <john.bravin@...>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, 6 September, 2010 16:13:48
Subject: Re: [peel] Most surprising records played

  He played Sheena Easton's 9 TO 5 many times, and once declared
"...when I should be singing something by Joy Division, I find myself
humming this by Sheena Easton..".  No shame in that, as Johnny Walker
once said of Candy Staton's Young Hearts, "It's just a pop record, but
actually it's so much more".  Nowadays it would have labelled
post-ironic but that wasn't invented in 1981.

For me the more interesting question is would Peel have played Arcade
Fire or The XX?

John