Most surprising records played

Stuart stuartb@...
Mon Sep 6 00:55:10 CEST 2010

I liked the idea of creating a Tom Waits page on the wiki, as he was perhaps one of the most obviously surprising artistes never to have been played by JP, but I thought it might be fun to turn this on its head and nominate tracks that one would never guess that he would have played, but did.

We should probably exclude pre-1977 from this exercise as I know he did play a lot of prog rock in the days before I started to listen, and also exclude his Jakki Brambles sit-in shows when he had to play the least bad tracks of the daytime playlists. And we should all know about his playful dalliance with the Sheena Easton phenomenon.

So, my nomination is for the show of 2nd January 1980, when he played 'Bloody Well Right' by Supertramp. This was after punk, and after Breakfast In America....

Stuart