[peel] Re: 60's Top Gear programmes and playlists ...A DISCOVERY!

DAVID TIERNEY davidtierney@...
Sat Oct 30 16:17:51 CEST 2010

Many thanks for the Oct 67 show. This was broadcast on the second day of Radio
One - I remember hearing it on the day!   Best wishes, David

________________________________
From: ken <ken_garner@...>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 29 October, 2010 14:13:36
Subject: [peel] Re: 60's Top Gear programmes and playlists ...A DISCOVERY!

Your question, David, made me revisit my files and tapes (being off work sick
has given me some time for this), and I discovered I actually had a second side
of a cassette from Bernie Andrews of another 45 minutes of the first ever Top
Gear, 1 October 1967. I do not think Bernie would mind now if this were shared a
bit, so I have now ripped it, along with my side b (all i thought i had until
this week) which is  a fractionally longer version of the well-known existing
tape extract. Bernie clearly used his same master of extracts of the show to
give different people limited extracts, over the years.

I then dug out the very blotchy old script I got from archives when doing In
session Tonight in 91-92 and have now used this to give a full track listing on
the wiki page (links below).

There are clearly internal edits in both 47 min extracts, but, essentially, we
now in total have about half that first show.

As I said in the book(s), the music is great, (Bernie's personal influence
notable with Billy Fury, some Motown/soul singles, and both US and UK single
sides, back to back, from his new discovery, The Idle Race) ...but the
presentation is frequently cringeworthy, as Peel and Drummond try and show off
and needle each other to show who is coollest (I think, despite everything, Peel
clearly wins this contest). And before anyone asks, no, I have no more tape
extracts from bernie or anyone else for Peel shows from these years. But this is
something, at least...

ken

http://peel.wikia.com/wiki/01_October_1967

Top Gear 1967-10-01a