The BBC Archives

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Mon Mar 15 13:28:10 CET 2010

There is an aspect of the ending of 6Music which is I think
of importance to us on the Peel list

The BBC has a large archive of sessions dating back to the
early 60s.   At the moment it is only 6Music music that makes
serious use of this.  Some of their progs have archive session
material as a major part of the content.

Radio 2's forthcoming 'In Concert' show will apparently occasionally
make use of old concert recordings  (although that may just mean
alternating last year's Coldplay concert with this year's!) .  But I
have heard of no plans to use the sessions.

What happens now.   Will the archive  (which I would remind
you contains all those old Peel sessions) be allowed to moulder away?
Or maybe horror of horrors they are going to sell it off!
Surely they are going to do something with it

This is a major cultural resource for this country and what happens to it
matters

martinw