New Tracklisting

ken_garner ken_garner@...
Thu Jul 22 03:29:04 CEST 2010

sorry, coming to the legal updates rather late. Martin and Alastair are correct on the letter of the law (see useful concise link and fact sheets below). Rob and Stuart are right on the realistic online risks and circumstances: if you put up a few old radio shows in sub optimal, compressed, off-air recordings on one of the upload/download sites, unless you pay for a premium account, they delete them after 90 days anyway if no-one has downloaded them, so this is some protection. You can always put them up for just a few days anyway. Hence the very common and useful phrase here "re-up". Although it's highly unlikely record companies would go after the kinds of activities several of us contribute to with off air radio tapes, and certainly not the BBC (unless high quality discrete sessions/ session tracks), it is wise to be cautious, disparate, disagregated, time-limited, in posting any links to files.

The fact that we agreed when we embarked on the 400 Box project eventually to donate lossless rips of everything we had collectively done by the end to the BBC is a point in our defence, if activities such as ours were ever targeted. This would make legal action threatened by any record company look foolish. Frankly they have bigger problems to worry about. For example, I can identify at least 4 instances where tracks that have been commercially released by labels, were only "found" by the off-air archiving efforts of members of this group. If it ever came to court, they would look - could easily be made to look - mean spirited and hypocritical.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

- until the 88 act RADIO taping for home time-shifted listening (as opposed to TV recording) was actually illegal (hence Peel's frequent comment when reading out a letter which mentioned taping the show "I don't think you are supposed to do that..."), an anomaly, left out when an earlier act had allowed home video recording. As Alastair points out, law in the US is more liberal on "fair use", which is why US podcasts have music in them, and Uk ones do not.