Date of Barclay James Harvest "In Concert" broadcast

nigel_wassell nigelw@...
Fri Jan 22 02:23:51 CET 2010

Bill,

Wow! There is so much there that it'll take me an evening or two to sit down and digest it all, but for now please just accept my thanks for identifying (as a pure incidental) the date of the second half of the 1976 Top 50 rundown as Monday 3rd January.  I guessed it wasn't a Saturday (from Fluff's banter with Kid Jensen about the New Year shenanigans at the beginning and the facts that the producer was Malcolm Brown instead of Tony Wilson and that the news bulletins were half an hour out, meaning that the show must have run from 3.00pm to 6.00pm), but I'd plumped for Sunday 2nd.  I obviously must have listened to the show, because I have the full Top 25 rundown carefully inscribed in one of my notebooks, but I don't appear to have made any recordings from it. Incidentally, I downloaded it (and the incomplete New Year's Day show) from the 30242 website - not sure if that's you or somebody else, but if it is you many thanks for making it available.

16 July 1977 I appear to have missed, but I'd love to hear that show. My diary tells me that I was away on holiday for the three succeeding shows, 23rd and 30th July and (probably) 6th August, but I bet I listened to that one.

I'd love to do something with the tapes, but although they've been stored properly, they're suffering a bit from age, quite apart from the fact that they weren't of top quality to start with. I don't have any complete shows, though - as a schoolboy I simply couldn't have afforded the tape and it never occurred to me to tape complete (or even partial) shows, just the tracks that I liked.  I've been trawling through them in the last couple of weeks looking specifically for Saturday Show recordings.  The list isn't quite complete yet and it would be OT for this particular message board, but I'll send you a copy privately when I'm happy with it, if you like.

Kind regards,

Nigel

P.S. Do you happen to know, offhand, on which day over the New Year weekend in 1977 Annie Nightingale hosted that show which asked various Radio 1 DJs to pick their "top tips" for 1977?  Fluff chose Gordon Giltrap (represented by "Lucifer's Cage", from the Visionary LP), whilst Peel picked Racing Cars ("They Shoot Horses, Don't They?") - of great interest to me, because they're a Swansea band who've only just broken up, and that's where I live!