New Box 400 show 15th April 1981

Stuart stuartb@...
Thu Jan 21 15:31:24 CET 2010

I'm certain that this is an AM show. The frequency response is typical of the AM section of a hifi tuner, designed to sound best with strong stations, with a wide IF filter. This is why the cymbals are at least partially audible especially on the Black Slate track. It is also mono.

If you listen closely you can hear a 9khz whistle, this will be the beat with a distant AM station on a neighbouring channel. This is the downside of using a wide IF filter. Also, every so often there is the distinctive AM interference caused by a thermostatic control.

AM could have supported audio to 10kHZ (and once did in the states) but the stations would need to be spaced twice as far apart and tuners would need to be redesigned.

Stuart