[peel] Pink Industry

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sun Dec 19 12:07:19 CET 2010

At 13:28 18/12/2010, you wrote:

>There are several digitisation projects on the go organised by
>members of this group. It would be good to know what you have, as
>some may already be available, yet others could contain long lost
>nuggets! In terms of sessions, then Martin Wheatley is the guru, he
>has a large number, and would be best placed to know whether any of
>yours are rarities and worth getting someone on the group to rip.
>

>Stuart

Ken Garner is the guru not me!

The definition of rarities is reasonably easy
1979 is the watershed.   Most sessions after that are in someones possession

1979 for 2 reasons.  Firstly technologically    It was around then
that hifi systems
with tuners and tape decks became cheap enough for students.   A  lot
of sessions
you hear before than are mono because they come from a transistor radio

Secondly style  1979 was when punk sessions became common and this led to
a major turnover in Peel's listenership.   Only diehards like me
could survive the
switch from Yes to the Desperate Bicycles easily!

Which doesn't  mean that everything pre-1979 is rare.  A lot of
sessions - especially by
wellknown artists have come out on record  (in many cases in better
quality than
we could record them in) or have been rebroadcast since.  But a quick
glance through
Ken's book highlights many 60s and 70s sessions noone has and because
the artsts are
not in fashion noone ever will

martinw