[peel] Digest Number 2330

Stuart Mchugh stuart@...
Sun Oct 25 10:41:10 CET 2009

> Just watched Magazine on BBC iPlayer (video) - very strange
> watching rock music on a Sat morning. Great performance esp 'The
> Light ...'.
> The poem "The Book" thankfully wasn't included - about the ONLY
> poor thing Howard has ever done. Good old BBC blanked out the F
> word in 'Big Dummy' (it was included in the radio version) - is
> this social progress ? First heard Mag on Peel of course - their P
> sessions are as good as the albums.

I saw Magazine last month, in Edinburgh, most of the attendees had
seen the previous show in Glasgow I suspect. This time they performed
'Soap' in its entirety for the first set (and brilliant it was).
After the break, the stage lights came up and the smoke cleared and
it became obvious that there was a 'lectern' stage centre. A guy
standing next to me said "oh, he's not doing 'The Book' again?
Someone needs to tell him !"

> Peelie died five years ago today.

I saw Persil last night and they were saying that they missed the
Pixies in Amsterdam as they were doing a Peel show the same night.
Which occurred to me - I think I may have been away that week, but I
don't recall any build-up or aftermath to Peel Day, certainly in
Scotland. I hope I'm wrong.