[peel] Re: New Entry at Number 4......

Thomas Blatchford tabdrinkink74@...
Tue Nov 17 15:34:42 CET 2009

yes, i think "unsung" is perhaps a bit strong, i certainly think he was underappreciated by his employers during his lifetime, for instance, and that some bands did little to acknowledge their debt to him in getting them noticed. Plus it's evident that his impact on pop music was much greater than most, if not all, broadcasters. But i think factors like, say, the turn out at his funeral prove that he was hardly unloved or uncelebrated. i'd say Walters would perhaps be a candidate.

Not that more Peel recognition is something to sniff at, though.

i would DEFINITELY agree with Tim Berners-Lee mind. i seem to recall there was a survey a few years ago that said the majority of people believed Bill Gates started the internet or something. Berners-Lee and Peel are the two people most responsible for this group even existing!

________________________________
From: Eddie Duffy <eddie.duffy@...>
To: peel@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, 17 November, 2009 13:20:45
Subject: [peel] Re: New Entry at Number 4......

Hmm, "unsung"? I don't think I'd go along with that. And presumably, neither would the writer of this Grauniad article from about a year ago:

http://www.guardian .co.uk/music/ musicblog/ 2008/oct/ 22/john-peel- hero-worship

I seem to remember JP being placed pretty highly in that "Great Britons" thing a few years back, much to his embarrassment. Apparently, when a journalist told him this and asked for his reaction, Peelie suspected it was some sort of Chris Morris-style sting, designed to prey on celebrities' egos.

Eddie.