Penultimate Top Gear - Faces love mentioned !

deadearnest1 deadearnest@...
Mon Nov 16 18:38:37 CET 2009

That broadcast was in two parts - Peel was presenting the best of the sessions over the years and it also featured tracks from Led Zep and I think the legendary "Moon In June" might have surfaced, as well as Bowie and many more. I recorded, as was typical of me at the time, the parts of it that I wanted. The reception was crap as I think there were probs with it being on VHF that time, so I have medium wave recordings (I hope this means something to anyone below the age of 40!!!) and I presume that's what this is.
As to the Lindisfarne track, that's one of the highlight songs from the "Nicely Out of Tune" album, arguably, their finest. But the Roxy Music Peel "If There Is Something" just has to rank as THE best track they ever did in this version - stands right next to the Krautrock innovators.
As to the "Peels Pleasures", I'm unsure as to why some of you can access it and some can't, but, undeterred, I'll upload the other "Peel's Pleasures" broadcast on Wednesday during the day.
I recorded a lot of Peel session tracks by a lot of my fave bands which I have scattered about all over the place - I alway made a point of recording Peel's intro and outro to the tracks, which gives it a kind of historical perspective, but listening, it's all a bit piecemeal.
One thing I do have - and it's only a few seconds long - is when Peel lovwed the track "Take It Before You Go" by Pure Prairie League, coz he loved the guitar solo so much. In fact, he made the high register single note that the steel guitarist got up to, his "note of the year" and he was demonstrating it on one show and got the timing of the track wrong as the bit he played was after the note and on my tape you hear him say "ohhhh - I've got the wrong bit" as he fades it out - very funny.
Anyway, until Wednesday (birthday bash tonight and works quiz tomorrow night prohibits any sooner)
Thanks people,
Andy Garibaldi