[peel] Re: Sam And Dave on Peel

Martin Wheatley martinw@...
Sat Nov 7 22:09:56 CET 2009

At 23:36 04/11/2009, you wrote:

>dunno. But, blimey, I can't believe none of us would have heard of
>that scoop before, if it is genuine! I have sent a message to
>Richard Jeffrey, the current R1 archivist etc, to see what he knows.
>My hunch is this might have been on a one off other daytime R1 show
>(R1 CLUB?) Peel might have presented as a guest, OR pre-dates Radio
>1 (the original Top Gear, 64-65?), OR was in a TV show on BBC2 Peel
>might have hosted. But I could easily be wrong! I suspect it dates
>from the time of the celebrated Stax volt tour of the UK in 67 (?)
>if it's genuine...

Ken,

Your famous   Marc Riley said on air 'we don't know anything about it
  - it's not in Ken Garner's book'

He introdiuced as a Peel session
He played 3 tracks (althought that doesn't mean that there wasn't a fourth
  - he does that sometimes)
When Something Is Wrong With My Baby/Soul Sister Brown Sugar/Soul Man

It definitely sounds like it was a BBC studio recording and not in front of an
audience

martinw