[peel] Re: An idiot asks...........

apoplexia apoplexia@...
Thu May 21 15:46:42 CEST 2009

Well, I personally think that torrents are one of the safest forms of
peer-to-peer filesharing, because you only share specific files, so there's
no danger of accidentally leaving access open to your entire hard drive. So
yes, people can access your computer, but they can't get to anything that
you're not explicitly sharing.

The danger involved viz trojans and viruses is the same as downloading any
file from a non-reputable source. People do mislabel and upload malware,
it's true, but the comments on sites like the piratebay general indicate
this fairly quickly. If your virus software's up-to-date and you've backed
up all your important data (which, let's face it, is something all of us
should probably be doing more often), you're fairly safe. The danger tends
to come from downloading cracked versions of software, which often include
.bat or .exe files which puport to provide serial numbers, but which could
do anything once you double-click on them.

Ultimately all I can say is that I've never had a problem with anything I've
downloaded through torrents, but I wouldn't want to claim that my experience
was necessarily typical. I guess, don't do anything you're not comfortable
with, but if you feel the benefits outweigh the risks, then give it a go.

Rich