Trivial Titbit for a Wet Bank Holiday

ken garner ken_garner@...
Mon May 4 13:59:20 CEST 2009

This is sad and nerdy but I spotted something a few days ago which means yet another update to my LONGEST GAPS BETWEEN PEEL SESSION APPEARANCES chart: Julie Tippett(s), nee Driscoll, reappeared with Working Week singing Venceremos, in May 84 - I know, because I found it on a fragmentary off-air tape from Spring 84. So she joins the roll of honour, reprinted here below, now looking, er, rather different from my original Top 10 in The Peel Sessions. More emendations welcome.

~

Top 22 Longest Gaps Between Peel Session Appearances

John French     36 years: 2nd with Beefheart in May 68, 3rd with new Magic Band in July 04

Incredible String Band      27 yrs: 11th in Oct 73, 12th in Nov 2000

Faust     25 yrs 6 mths: 1st in June 73, 2nd in Jan 99

Buzzcocks     24 yrs: 4th in May 79, 5th in June 03

Gary Numan      21 yrs: 2nd in March 79, 3rd Dec 2000

The Undertones     20 yrs 6 mths: 6th in Dec 82, 7th in May 03

New Order     16 yrs 6 mths: 2nd in June 82, 3rd in Dec 98

Misty in Roots     16 yrs: 8th in May 86, 9th in July 02

Julie Tippett nee Driscoll    15 yrs 6 mths: 3rd with Brian Auger's Trinity in Oct 68, with Working Week in May 84

Steve Hillage     14 yrs 6 mths: with National Health March 76, with The Orb Oct 90

Wire     14 yrs 4 mths: 4th in May 88, 5th in Sept 02

Echo and the Bunnymen     14 yrs: 6th in Oct 83, 7th in Sept 97

Pete Astor     13 yrs 11 mths: in Weather Prophets Dec 86, in Wisdom of Harry Nov 00

Culture     13 yrs 6 mths: 2nd in Jan 89, 3rd in July 02

The Pastels      13 yrs 7 mths: 1st in Feb 84, 2nd in Nov 97

The Raincoats     13 yrs 3 mths: 2nd in Dec 80, 3rd in April 94

June Tabor     13 yrs: 5th in Feb 78, 6th in Jan 91

Llwybr Llaethog     11 yrs 10 mths: 2nd in Oct 89, 3rd in Aug 01

Pulp     11 yrs 6 mths: 1st in Nov 81, 2nd in March 93

Chris Cooper & Graeme Naysmith:     11 yrs 4 mths in Pale Saints Aug 89, in Lorimer Dec 2000

Eon     11 yrs 2 mths: 1st in June 91, 2nd in Aug 02

Orbital     10 yrs 10 mths: 1st in Sept 93, 2nd in July 04

...and Bobby Wratten would be next: 10 yrs 5 mths: with Fieldmice in April 90, Trembling Blue Stars, September 2000