Mayo/Peel 1999-03-11

alanforduk alan@...
Sat May 2 16:07:31 CEST 2009

Here's a couple of tapes from 11-03-1999 featuring Simon Mayo's record 37-hour DJ-ing stint, and including the complete Peel show from that night.

I have divided up the MP3s as follows

1. Mary-Ann-Hobbs-1999-03-11-with-Simon-Mayo
	http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2J07MBQC
	44:21

2. Peel-1999-03-11-with-Simon-Mayo-a
	http://www.megaupload.com/?d=62P7C2VZ
	50:23

3. Peel-1999-03-11-with-Simon-Mayo-b
	http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L371YW7I
	1:03:33

4. Clive-Warren-1999-03-12-with-Simon-Mayo
	http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H8E6DS60
	31:38

Tape flips
1/2 During first Peel track (Spraydog) - Merged
2/3 During Lab4 track - Ripped from CD
3/4 During Appliance session track - complete track supplied by martinw

I have copied a minute or so from the MAH show (in which SM and MAH discuss listening to JP in their youths) and prefixed it to the JP show.

This means you can bypass MAH completely and not miss any JP-related content.

At the end of MAH there's 10 mins of UTTER RUBBISH about shopping which means Johns shows of this period started at 10:10. This was a blatant outrage - and why we didn't take to the streets in mass civil unrest I can't imagine!

The session was a repeat of Appliance's first, who John thinks are from Exeter. Was he right?

The news of the day was about Wembley being redeveloped; I can't wait.

There's distortion throughout but, hey, so has life (or is that just mine?)

JP tracklisting available here:

http://www.avistic.demon.co.uk/playlists/1999/10.txt

MAH/CW tracklistings below.

Somewhat topically, SM points out that CW is standing in for Andy Kerswhaw who "can't be with us because he's being a dad".
At 8 mins into the CW show SM says "One of the great things about doing a program with John is that it was full of music I hadn't heard
before, particularly that 'Damani Djibuti' record; Did you hear that Clive? ("No") Absolutely fantastic".
I think he means Toumani Diabate.

GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING
Clive Warren's show starts with a Robbie Williams track, which I have listened to so that you don't have to. It finishes at 4:28.
I'm afraid that the opening bars are also audible on the end of JP's show.

More info on SM's DJ-ing record here
and here

He said the high points were sharing the studio with veteran DJ John Peel, and Mark and Lard's afternoon show.

Er, I think that's it.

Cheers

Alan