[peel] Re: still used as a excuse for s..t dj's

John Bravin john.bravin@...
Sat Mar 28 12:23:09 CET 2009

In a perfect world it's not just the discs, but also the love the jockey
has for the discs. We know this too well in this group as it's not the
music that is most sought after, but the music with Peel's witty,
enthusiastic, poignant and informative links.  There have been many DJs
who have understood that playing music has never been enough and that
the magic comes from the the bits in between - Alan Freeman, Alexis
Korner, Andy Kershaw, Johnnie Walker even Emperor Rosko all knew how to
make a show that was more than the sum of the parts.  I guess it comes
down to whether you see Radio 1 as a music station or an entertainment
station.  With the latter the links become the show, leaving the music
as almost irrelevant.  Unfortunately I suspect most of the audience want
entertainment not music.