[peel] OCR software advice?

Alasdair Macdonald wewalkforonereason@...
Sat Mar 21 11:32:27 CET 2009

Ken -

I considered mentioning OCR software after reading your earlier post.

OmniPage is I think THE name for OCR software. It's many years since
I've experimented - with a basic Windows version - and I remember in
particular having to proof-read the results and make frequent
corrections. You might also have issues if your source material is
multi-column, unless there is a software feature to allow
reconstruction of such text.

Since the ideal source is clean, clear, two-tone, and in a standard
font, it's possible to say that anything that deviates from this can
give trouble. In particular, where there is low contrast between text
and background, or where the resolution / quality of the source is
poor.

Is there an entry-level / free version of the product that you can try
out to begin with?