Help Needed Identifying Peel Tracks From 1968/69

saipanda saipanda@...
Sun Mar 1 05:28:17 CET 2009

Hi Ken,

Many thanks for sorting out the ins and outs of these.

Trying to get all the pages up for the Wiki, wondered whether there aren't a few more
songs on "Tracks 4" after Love Sculpture's "Don't Answer The Door" (session). This seems
to end  around 24.42 of the file, which is around 38 minutes.

Next up seems to be George Harrison ("Greasy Legs" and "Ski-ing"?) from Wonderwall,
then another Jeff Beck track, then a couple more.

Sorry if I'm completely wrong about this and it's my confusion.

Cheers,

Steve W

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> I spent some time this evening going through my dog eared old print outs of every Top
> Gear PasB from March 68 to March 69, twice, and have eventually worked out what's
> going on with these extracts, I think. And I think you're all going to like the answer.
>
> What we've got here is different extracts from the same shows, on different tapes
>
> This suggest two possibilities to me: one, that Andy you've recently edited the files
> together from fragments from other tapes; or secondly, and more likely (and excitingly),
> our unknown original taper taped fragments of the same show on different tapes -
which
> means the tapes you still have to give us could well also fill out more sections of other
> shows you've given us.
>
> Here are the details on the files posted today / yesterday and how they connect to your
> other tapes:
>
> TRACKS 3 is constituted by 4 songs from early in the show of 27/10/68; followed by 2
> songs from early in the show of 3/11/68, the following week.
>
> TRACKS 3:
> Sunday 27 October 1968
> Top Gear
> Radio 1
> 3-5pm
> with John Peel
> produced by Bernie Andrews
>
> [omitted: Top gear (sig, Joe Moretti Group)
> [omitted: Family – Second Generation Woman (single)
> {omitted: Taste – Dual Carriageway Pain (session)]
> TAPE (TRACKS 3) begins
> Pretty Things – Private Sorrow (single)
> [omitted: David Ackles – Down River (session)]
> Jeff Beck Group – You Shook Me (single)
> Blossom Toes – Wait A Minute (session)
> The Doors – Yes, The River Knows (LP Waiting for the Sun)
> END TAPE [TRACKS 3 edits to other material]
> [omitted: Brian Auger Trinity – Old Jim Crow (session)]
> THEN JUMP TO PREVIOUSLY AVAILABLE AND DOCUMENTED FILE, starting with Taste –
> Norman Invasion (session)
>
> ~
>
> TRACKS 3 continues with

> Top Gear
> Sunday 3 November 1968
> 4 tracks in

> The Fugs – Crystal Liason (single)
> [omitted: Pentangle – Sovay (session)]
> Nazz – Open My Eyes (single)
> TRACKS 3 ends.
>
> Jump to...
>
> ~
>
> TRACKS 4

> Next track (after Nazz, above) in show of 3/11/68 is Jeff Beck Group session version of
> You Shook Me, and show continues from there as follows

> Tyrannosaurus Rex – Eastern Spell (LP Prophets
 etc)
> Love Sculpture – The Rebel (session)
> Deviants – You Got To Hold On (single)
> [omitted: Duster Bennett – I'm gonna Wind Up
 etc (session)]