Another Peel mixtape from Mark

m.luetchford@... M.Luetchford@...
Fri Jun 5 20:36:52 CEST 2009

As Steve says in listing of this Terry and Gerry were my one of my favourite discoveries that I thank Peel for - the other was Dollymixture.

I went to a barbican showing recently of a Dollymixture film and it was full of similar obsessives. I wonder if Terry and Gerry have similar devottees. Their farewell concert at the Camden Lock in about 85 was a sad but joyous affair when I thanked Gerry at the end he introduced me to his mum! I have a recording of their unreleased tracks that he sent me. Even though there is no direct Peel connection is it legitimate to place this on this site or is there somewhere else it should go. They don't seem to have a fan site although Terry has a facebook page.

I was at a boarding school and three or four of us used to listen obssessively and compare notes of what we had taped over breakfast the next day. It was horrible when I forgot it was Friday and Tommy Vance Rock Show came on the airwaves - the sickening feeling as Rainbow or Whitesnake blasted out of my transistor radio/cassette tape really floored me!

As I listen to these tapes again I realise that the quality of music from this time 80-84 was amazing but is that purely because it was the soundtrack to my youth. I never really got the rave/house/dance stuff but admired Peels ability to and listened out of duty when he played it but rejoiced when he played it at the wrong speed without realising! Have a great example of this on one of the tapes.

Won't be doing any tapes this weekend as off to a local music festival but maybe next week some more will appear.

Thanks to all of you (and in particular the two Steve's for getting me hooked up and ripping.

Mark