500 Box: Margaret Thatcher in session?! revisited

lorcan58 lorcan58@...
Fri Jun 5 00:44:36 CEST 2009

No, I don't have an Archers recording, but you've reminded me of a favourite Peel story, where he was (unusually) attending a posh dinner and unexpectedly found himself sitting next to Princess Margaret. Smalltalk was understandably difficult and he struggled for an icebreaker until he had a brainwave:

Peel: "You know, you and I have both done something that nobody else in this room has done."
HRH: "Oh yes, what's that?"
Peel: "We've both appeared on The Archers as ourselves."

And the conversation flowed...