[peel] Re: JP plays Duran Duran...really

colin bray colinbray@...
Mon Jul 13 08:51:26 CEST 2009

Like several people on here I've listened to 1980 and 1981 shows which in short order played U2, Simple Minds, Spandau Ballet, OMD, The Thompson Twins and others I've forgotten. It seems that the 1980s don't really start until the very tail end of 1980. Up till the autumn Peel is playing music that would comfortably sit in 1979 then all these soon-to-be-successful bands pop up all at the same time and we feel like we're in 1982.

I loved listening to these shows, they reminded me again how John was always there first.

Colin.

To: peel@yahoogroups.com
From: M.Luetchford@btopenworld.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:43:34 +0000
Subject: Re: [peel] Re: JP plays Duran Duran...really

Just read your blog steve and see you confirm the Wham story - how about Spandau Ballet and Culture Club (he played them too) - presume someone somewhere has put together a list of significant discoveries.

By the way does anyone know if it is true that Adam Ant was in Bazooka Joe who the Pistols supported at Chelsea Art College in their first ever gig. If so he was at the birth of punk. Ant Music was good and still worth a listen - the double drumming was important. However I remember an NME A-Z Guide to Punk Rock produced in 78/79 which had the early punk Adam as a listing with the quip - just goes to show that the art of fooling some of the people all of the time is dead and consigned him to the dustbin of failure. Just two or so years later the dandy highwayman filled our world and no one saw the irony ... the commoditisation of pop was back with the standard carried by someone who was at the birth of punck