[peel] Re: Help needed dating a Peel Show

Phil Edwards festive50@...
Fri Jan 30 22:31:45 CET 2009

Thanks John.
I'd forgotten all about that site.
I didn't go to the 1969 Bath Festival but I was at the 1970 one (plus the
IOW 1970 festival).
Apart from the amazing lineup of predominantly West Coast American bands
plus Pink Floyd's debut of Atom Heart Mother, which included a complete
Welsh male voice choir and a finale which involved "Vary Lights" (distress
rockets floating down on parachutes), illuminating the entire field, a
significant moment (in hindsight) was the fact that I went to the festival
with Malolm Owen (of The Ruts), who I'd only met the previous night and
whose father drove us down to Shepton Mallet for the festival.
Incidentally, a local councillor I know, currently lives in a row of
Victorian cottages in Hayes (about 300 yards from the old EMI record
factory), where most of The Ruts used to live and on the end wall of this
terrace, in 3 foot high lettering is painted "RUT ROW" (well she's a bit of
a "hippy chick" and appreciates the significance).
Phil