Steve so_it_goes_2512@...
Wed Jan 28 06:46:30 CET 2009

Thanks for the link, Jimmy: this has now been incorporated (with
credit to you) in the Wiki entry I made for this date.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Jimmy Stepek <jimmystep@...> wrote:

> Try this one Dr M;
>
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/1999/oct/05/artsfeatures3
>
> <<The South Bank's series of Peel Sessions Live continues to bring
> together unlikely musical bedfellows - such as skiffle king Lonnie
> Donegan and Half Man Half Biscuit - in an even more unlikely venue.
> Peel also chose this session to be part of the South Bank's Living
> Legends series, offering "the names that for decades inflamed the
> status quo and recharged rock and blues, cubaba and soul, pop and
> electronica, just as they threatened to fall flat".>>

1999, which featured live recordings by Lonnie Donegan and Half Man
Half Biscuit, recorded the previous Friday (1st October) at the Queen
Elizabeth Hall on the Southbank. I can't remember the reason for the
event, but I'm sure somebody can enlighten me. This is a recording of
Half Man Half Biscuit's 7 songs, with Peel bookends. There's also the
start of the next track in the programme after the live music, but
this fades off. Note that the fade is on my original tape! I had no
memory of recording this, so was pleasantly surprised to find it on
an unmarked tape in my collection a little while ago. I do remember
hearing Lonnie Donegan's set though, and being rather impressed.
Naturally, I'm disappointed that I didn't record all / more of this
show. What's galling now is to point
>  out that I started recording at the beginning of the tape and
promptly stopped after HMHB, when I could at least have left it
running until side A ran out... So it goes.