[peel] Fwd: [bot-dimeadozen-org] NEW on DIME: Basement Five 1980-04-21 BB...

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Mon Jan 26 21:47:35 CET 2009

>>Basement Five were fantastic live. Saw them 4  or 5 times around that time,
then they released a disappointingly tame LP and  that was that...<<

Produced by Martin Hannett, no less.

There's also a second album, which is an 'In dub' version of the  first.

Dennis Morris was a punk-era photographer - his foghorn vocals are the weak
point of the band. B5 were an interetsing reversal of the 'white man reggae'
concept - black rasta dudes playing rock.

Don Letts was certainly involved in the project, though not as a  performer -
and the bassist ended up in Big Audio Dynamite (along with Don  Letts). I
think he's still involved in Mick Jones's Carbon-Silicon project.  Letts and
Morris were certainly in the Clash's orbit - which accounts for the  presence of
'Snakes' Dudanski...

They were very good live - I saw them supporting Ian Dury in Birmingham in
1980. The peel session gets closer to their raw live sound.

Mark