Julian's Tapes

Ed Duffy eddie.duffy@...
Thu Jan 8 19:40:25 CET 2009

Yes, top work there Julian & Kev. I finally got around to listening to
these at work a few months back, and they're top notch. Great to have
full shows, complete with news, from that period in such good quality.

And thanks for the link to that blog, Steve. Yes, I used to send off
those postal orders to Ablex Audio Video back in the day. I still have
the tapes and LPs, though there's a big gap in the middle which
coincides with my later days at uni. So I'd never even heard of the
likes of Tape Worm and Straight No Chaser till now. I think I still
even have my C81 owner's manual, which you had to create by cutting up
a page in one of the NMEs and stapling the parts together into a tiny
booklet.

Which ones are you missing, BTW? With a bit of luck I might  be able
to complete your set for you.

Oh, and does anyone remember a video by a group called The Gas that
was available via the NME back in the early 80s? They'd basically made
a full-length video album and were offering it for £10. This was back
in the early days of video tapes, when they cost up to £70. I was
always curious, but never got round to sending off for it.

Eddie.

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "saipanda" <saipanda@...> wrote:

> Hi Julian,
>
> Many thanks again to you and Kev.
>
> On the subject of C81, I've got a pretty much full set of NME tapes
of the 80s, from C81 to
> Indy City (1988), all now in mp3 form.
>
> There's an excellent blog on the subject of these tapes, which
basically started me off
> collecting them a year or so ago:
> http://bazooka81.livejournal.com/
>
> Would recommend this to anyone with an interest in music of the
period. A really nice
> read, although the layout is a bit weird (start at the bottom and
work your way up).

> Some of the tapes are utterly fantastic. My own favourites at the
time where C81 and
> Pocket Jukebox. On the oldies front, ones like Ace Case and Little
Imp are real fun
> introductions to 50s R&B. There's also the famed C86, of course,
among others.

> Guess the subject is slightly outside this group, although Mixed
Peel (NME 035) is a
> sessions compilation and there was a large overlap in NME/Peel
faves, particularly on the
> post-punk/indie front.
>
> If anyone would like mp3s copies of any of the tapes, please get in
touch off-list and I'll
> see what I can do.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve W
>

> --- In peel@yahoogroups.com, Julian Porter <spiggytopes55@> wrote:
> >
> > Bill/Steve and all,
> >
> > No probs mate. Thanks to Kev for doing the donkey work. The two
more Kev mentioned
> were mine as well. Kev is doing a stonking job on transferring these
and other tapes that I
> found in various parts of the house and garage some months
back (anyone want a copy
> of the famous C81 NME Tape? If so, pester Kev to make it available.
I've got a plan to clear
> our garage in the Spring. You never know, I might find another one
or two.

> > Now then, Stewy (of this parish) is after the sessions of Be-Bop
Deluxe and The Rich