[peel] Re: Reconstructionism

rockerq@... rockerq@...
Wed Jan 7 01:32:12 CET 2009

> <<The playground chat at my school (I was 11 in 1972) was very much centred
> around the bands on TOTP. The Bowie/Roxy/Sparks/Mott/Cockney Rebel art
> school glam pop stuff was a genuine alternative to prog longhairs and their drum
> solos, as well as being a way ahead when glam veered into self-parody>>

I can concur with this - I was 12 in 1972 - the first LP I bought was
"Electric Warrior" in 1971, and along with T-Rex the above 5 bands were pretty much
my favourites - also liked "classic" rock like Deep Purple (Made In Japan),
Pink Floyd (Dark Side), Hawkwind (Space Ritual) - and some 60s stuff like The
Doors, Stones, ? Mark & The Mysterions - had never heard a record by The Velvet
Underground, The Stooges, or even Black Sabbath apart from "Paranoid" - But
knew I hated the boring pretentious crap my elders and betters would tell me was
"Real" music - ELP; Genesis; Wishbone Ash; Yes; Rush; The Enid; Anything with
a sleeve by Roger Dean; and even Led Zeppelin - I had the piss taken out of me
for years after I fell asleep during a showing of "The song remains the same"
at my local fleapit.

It is impossible to overstate the importance of the punk revolution to (some)
kids of my age - something of a niche market, maybe - but 1976 was our 1967 -
hearing the first records by Eddie & The Hot Rods, The Ramones - and finally
a UK punk band - The Damned - on Peel's show, was literally the most important
thing that ever happened to us - which is why hearing these 1978 shows from
400 box has been like golddust - any shows from 1976 / 1977 are for me at least
the holy grail right now! Not so much bothered by the Festive 50s, as those
records are already familiar, but hearing, say, the first time the spiral
scratch, or the Desperate Bicycles was played, would be to re-live the golden age!

Cheers!

Rocker

PS just a reminder that of course for the rest of january you can still hear
the 2008 Festive 50 at least once a day on www.dandelionradio.com - but we
play new music most of the time!