[peel] Re: Reconstructionism

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Wed Jan 7 00:32:11 CET 2009

>>There was loads of gayness on early 70s TOTPs.  Bolan/Bowie/There was loa
and others - the difference was most of the  audience wasn't sophisticated
enough to recognise it as  gayness<<

This is true - though it's generally implied, and obvious through  the
hindsight goggles. Bowie is of course the biggest dabbler in androgyny. T  Rex songs
are rarely ambiguous in content, and the  Glitter/Slade/Mud/Wizzard/Sweet et
al glam factions aren't even  trying.

>>Glam was about teenage girls The boys were following prog  rock<<

Not at all. The playground chat at my school (I was 11  in 1972) was very
much centred around the bands on TOTP. The  Bowie/Roxy/Sparks/Mott/Cockney Rebel
art school glam pop stuff was a genuine  alternative to prog longhairs and
their drum solos, as well as being a way  ahead when glam veered into self-parody
(Rubettes, Mud etc). And a bigger  influence on 1st gen punks too - the
Bromley lot, for example, or proto-goths  like Pete Murphy.

Girls liked Donny Osmond and David Cassidy; later the  Bay City Rollers.
Older girls preferred stuff you could dance to, as ever.

Suspect there weren't too many girls at your Croydon triple-header, Martin
;-)

Mark