[peel] Re: Reconstructionism

markbursa@... markbursa@...
Tue Jan 6 23:03:28 CET 2009

>>Glam (inc Bowie, Bolan, Mott etc) was a dangerous gatecrasher  into
charts dominated by Radio 2 slush-pop like 'Tie a Yellow  Ribbon',
Osmonds, New Seekers. Glam was bisexuality/Osmonds, New Seekers. Glam<<

This is becoming something of a masterclass in  revisionism!

Gayness?!? In 1971?!!? On Top of the Pops?!?!?

I suspect Mrs Whitehouse might have had sometning to say about  that....

Glam was as much about football terrace boot-boy chants as it was about
androgyny. Did anybody really think Steve Priest camping it up was for  real?

Were the charts really "dminated" by Radio 2 slush? What about all the
fantastic soul records? Fair numbers of reggae hits too. Surely the  "dangerous
gatecrashers" were longhairs like Sabbath or Hawkwind, or  genuine oddities like
Lou Reed or Neil Young in the Top 10?

Point taken on VdGG - just find PH a bit more interesting than
Yes/Genesis/ELP. Though his parallel solo career is some distance from prog.  Nadir's Big
Chance is not Prog at all. Regardless of what Trouser Press says,  this is the
stuff that appealed to the pre-punk punks. I guess also VdGG were  always
somewhat underground compared to big stadium proggers like ELP.

Or Pink Floyd, who are, like I said, seemingly being distanced from Big P
Prog.

Mark