BBC Archives

alanforduk alan@...
Mon Jan 5 01:26:25 CET 2009

> [Alan - by the bye - i think I have TWO more of the Peel-for-
Radcliffe shows from that week in March 96 somewhere ...

Thanks Ken. I've got 45 mins of 19/3/96 and 90 mins of 20/3/96 but
the quality varies from bad to appalling. I'll wait to see what
you've got first.

Alan

--- In peel@yahoogroups.com, "ken garner" <ken_garner@...> wrote:

> Happy new year all. A lot of bits and pieces to try and answer.
>
> First, Bill, on this one, Rocker is probably right: if Peel sounded
like he meant he was
> listening back immediately to that night;s show, then, yes, it must
have been a cassette
> made during broadcast by the studio engineer for him. Neither
Sheila nor John ever
> mentioned these to me and knowing Peel I doubt he kept them. For
the general picture on
> complete show tapes, see my long post on the topic from summer 08,
pasted below.

> Martin is right to be cautious - but I think Roger and the
Preservations department will be
> happy to be offered the lossless versions of all we have achieved,
though what they decide
> to do with them I don't know. If we added in offers of the 500
project, my own (I am
> already doing a checklist for them), and others, with a short
statement of our collective
> policy (which I think we all know - no money, our only intent is to
help broaden and
> deepen the Peel archive in any way we can, and are sharing files in
compressed form at
> this archiving stage mainly to check errors, reconstruct gaps and
glitches), I think that
> would look good. If I might be excused a moment of vanity - but it
does support my
> analysis of the politics here - my brother in law coincidentally
met an in law on his side of
> the family over Christmas who had just joined that department at
Maida Vale, who said
> [...]
have none from the
> other two weeks.]
>
> On another matter, I've evidently been thinking something similar
to Steve over the
> holidays. The wiki is blossoming into a glorious thing. And when I
eventually got round to
> looking seriously at Phil's database a few weeks ago I realised how
astounding that was
> too. A good resolution for 09 therefore might be as follows....
>
> .... if all those on this list who are not otherwise generally
involved in the 400 /500 / etc
> box ripping project(s) made an effort to complete a single show
tracklisting for the wiki
> once a month, then in theory within 2 or 3 years there would be a
wiki entry of some form
> for almost every Peel show. You could start with ones that
obviously need doing -as new
> tapes emerge week by week and the archivists do not have the time
to do all that - and
> then move on to others, working from (for example) my shows index,
your diaries, the
> sessionography, other documents, etc. This would mean that it could
even be a realisable
> prospect that in the not too distant future the (not very) mythical
request Peel used to get
> in the post - "one night ten years ago in the summer of 84 you
played a long reggae
> record with the word Jah in it. Can you now tell me what this was,
because I wish to get it
> - you'll know what it was because you played a Smiths session track
straight afterwards" -
> could actually be answered!

> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "...Peel may of course have been joking! But, to be serious, all
commercial radio
> stations and the BBC - were/are required to keep a record of
transmissions for 28 days in
> case of complaints. But these were normally done back then by a
very lo-fi, slow, one
> and a quarter inch per second reel to reel tape recording (or later
on cassette), by
> engineers in a special (remote) department, and the which tapes
were then recycled. They
> were just to have a record of what were said. I couldn't remember
what these tapes were
> called, so I ran this past retired Radio 1 archivist Phil Lawton
last night and he says: "The
> tapes of speech were commonly known as "snoop" tapes and held as
you say in case of a
> listener's complaint. They were kept from 1-3 months before being
wiped." So these tapes
> to the best of my knowledge were not kept, ever. Producers never
saw them - unless
> there was a complaint they had to answer!
>
> Listenable, better quality recordings of shows before the mid-90s
(since when in
> theory every show has been recorded on a CD during transmission in
 were only ever done
selectively by (a) the BBC
> Sound Archives as an occasional sample of a show, (b) the national
sound archive in
> Kensington, now part of the British Library, or (c) the individual
show producer, who
> frequently had to keep such tapes at home to avoid the occasional
visitations of the tape-
> wiping police to offices. Example: Sounds of the 70s producer (and
good guy) Malcolm
> Brown, left R1 for an attachment at BBC TV in 75. He came back
early in 77, unlocked his
> office on the third floor of Egton, and was shocked to find his
shelves of all his great
> sessions he had produced himself (Thin Lizzy, Free, Hawkwind, etc
etc) had been taken
> and wiped in his absence in compliance with policy, which valued
blank tape a more
> worthy commodity than any live music recorded on it.
>
> Anyway, all this means that until recently, many years, especially
from 1970-1990, only
> have half a dozen complete Peel shows each in the BBC archive.
Others (2000, and
> 1999, for example) have dozens, almost all, or at least well over
100 complete. The norm
> is anything between 10 and 30 shows surviving from each year. Until
the test BBC archive
> catalogue pages were taken down from the web, anyone could search
these privately!

> But more shows have been emerging since 2005. Example: a
professional BBC sound
> engineer called Mike Dick recorded over 150 Peel shows complete in
high quality reel to
> reel audio between 1979-1985, and donated them a couple of years
ago. Preservations
> found an example of the original tape machine Dick had used, and
then at Maida Vale got
> Chris Lycett (Peel's old producer for the middle of that period) in
as a consultant, to work
> his way through them trying to date them, using my old book and his
own diaries. I came
> in half way through this project and helped a bit in clarifying
some dates and a few
> muddles that had crept in. I think most of these shows are now
fully digitised and in the
> system. It was thanks to the Dick collection that Chris, Roger
Olive and I found and

<billfromnorthwales@> wrote:

> > I have a couple of questions about the BBC and Peel tapes.
Someone like