Punishment of Luxury

dunelm61 dunelm@...
Fri Feb 27 22:34:40 CET 2009

I saw Punilux at Reading in 1979 and they were a knock out. A couple of
years ago Mojo or some such rag had Laughing Academy down as one of the
worst records ever made. But judging by the price one has to pay on
eBay for a copy of the Dojo CD release, it certainly has its fans. I'm
surprised a label such as Cherry Red hasn't put together a bells and
whistles version, with the two Peel sessions and the singles included.

The North East based bands of the late seventies tended to fall neatly
into one of two categories. Either they were quite rocky, prog-
influenced bands (such as Neon, Penetration and Punilux) or they were
Spirit of '77 merchants (such as the Angelic Upstarts). Typically, Peel
saw the merits of each genre, and all four of these bands recorded
sessions for him.

Speaking of which, a Neon revival is long overdue. Check out
http://aural-innovations.com/stonepremonitions/bands/neon/ for info and
downloads, including snippets of Peel introducing various tracks.