Festive 50 1976

John john_ukea@...
Sat Feb 14 01:42:10 CET 2009

This is my first posting in this group, which I discovered only
recently, so bear with me if any of my subsequent
comments/requests/questions are `old hat' to any of you.

I'll start with a wee tale which I hope will raise a smile from some
of you, even though it is a little embarrassing for me

I was listening - live - to the final program of the very first
Festive 50.  I'd been able to listen to numbers 50-45, missed 44-11
due to being away at relatives for part of that year's festivities,
and was now catching from 10 onwards.

I didn't know which tracks I'd missed, so educated guesses as to what
the number 1 might be were almost pointless.  A Day In The Life had
appeared at 9, Crazy Diamond at 8, Alright Now at 6, Watchtower at 5
and Desolation Row at 3.  All had been possibilities for the top spot
in my mind.

He then introduced the runner-up, commenting that `two had whizzed
ahead and either one of them could have won it.'   I'd been sure that
as Layla hadn't appeared in the last 10 already it must surely be the
winner – but no.

After Layla, `without the other assorted Love Songs'  and  `by Eric
Clapton, of course, or actually Derek & The Dominoes to be absolutely
accurate' - to quote the man – he introduced Number 1 with :-

`and, you probably won't be too astonished to discover that this is
number one in the Festive 50'

And out of my speakers poured the sound of Led Zeppelin's  Stairway
To Heaven.

Now, here is where I have to admit what, to this day, still
embarrasses me when I'm reminded of it – I did not recognize the
track, I didn't know it, I'd never heard it, nor heard of it.  There
was I, convinced that I was au fait with the
current/popular/progressive rock world, only to discover that I
didn't know the track that the whole of Britain – well, listeners to
John Peel's show – had voted as their favorite track.

I did, however, buy the LP within a few days of first
hearing `stairway'.  Not because it was so clearly something that was
missing from my record collection, but because after a couple of
replays of my tape of the programme I really did like the track - and
it remains a favorite to this day.

So there you are – my confession.  I feel much better now :)

Which leads nicely on to my first question - are there any complete
recordings of this very first Festive 50 around ?   It's interesting
to hear what he said about some of the records in the list and I'd
like to hear what he had to say about some of the tracks played in
the programs that I missed.