Today

ken_garner ken_garner@...
Fri Dec 18 00:25:56 CET 2009

uh-huh. That was me, and Neil McCormicK of the Telegraph. Seems Today got very excited about the Led Zepp audition panel report on their Top Gear trial broadcast, "just discovered" by a 6 Music doc going out about Led Zepp on Christmas Day (?). The fact that this report has been in the public domain since 1993 when I quoted it in IST is neither here nor there. They invited me in and were very nice, taking me and my daughter in a taxi to BBC Scotland at Pacific Quay at 8am, then back with her to school afterwards. Hanna got to sit in the studio and had her own headphones as I did the 'down-the-line' thing. I did try to mention that most people did get passed , including Zepp, despite some of the outre comments. Name checked Bernie Andrews, Jimmy Grant, and Peel, so got something good in. I did not quite manage though to sneak in my favourite audition panel report, on Principal Edward's Magic Theatre: "'who can like this, if they don't come from New Delhi?' 'ugly tuneless voice... the pseudo-eastern influence I find offensive' 'could it not be useful to the Birmingham Pakistani programme?'" Notwithstanding these offensive and tactless remarks, the fact remains the band were truly awful anyway.